Monday, December 22, 2008

First things first...

Recently, I dug out my old workbook copy of "Experiencing God". Simply put, this was the most life-changing study I've ever attempted. Ironically, I almost skipped it because the title sounded insincere to me, as if God was something to be manipulated. It turns out, though, my impressions were wrong. Quite the opposite from my initial assumption, it's not about a method or formula... sentence after sentence, it points you towards relationship with God.

As I was re-reading last night, I came across a section that caught my attention. At a time when I'm contemplating the coming new year & possible resolutions... it had special relevance and gave me a bit of new perspective.

(excerpt from section entitled "Walking with God")

"I hear many persons say, "I really struggle to have that time alone with God." If that is a problem you face, let me suggest something to you. Make the priority in your life to come to love Him with all your heart. That will solve most of your problem with quiet time. Your quiet time is because you know Him and, therefore, love Him, not only in order to learn about Him."


OK... this seriously hit home with me... because having a consistent "quiet time" is something I've always desired, but always struggled at maintaining. It usually degrades into a 'check-off' item... and soon, it just stops. So, his thought here is intriguing to me... that a "quiet time" with God isn't a means TO relationship... it is a product OF relationship... a love relationship!

Hmmm....

Looking at it in this light... I can definitely say that I have been attempting to accomplish this as a discipline, in my own power. Perhaps... just perhaps, I have it out of order. Look again at Blackaby's suggestion: "...Make the priority in your life to come to love Him with all your heart."

He is simply pointing us towards the "Great Commandment":

(Matt 22:36-38) "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment."

Most of us might be familiar with this verse... but can we honestly say we make it our life's priority? Day in, day out.... PRIORITY... FIRST? How is it that, calling myself a servant of Christ, I would not put first the very thing commanded as such.

So... here I sit once again, typing & learning. When I came to write out this little thought I was having... I felt sure I would be writing about renewing my dedication to a 'quiet time' as my new year's resolution. But, somewhere among the keystrokes... it has become very clear to me that I am being called to focus on something so much more fundamental, so much more important... something from which all other things will flow.

I am being called to put 'first things first'... and that is my new year's resolution.

1 comment:

Luanne said...

Such a good post! I have the same problem--focusing on the ritual/religion part and not on the relationship. It is a hard line to walk for me because I know I need to be disciplined and spend time with Him--even when I don't "feel" like it.