Saturday, August 1, 2009

The song you sing...

Matthew West has a great song called "Something to Say"... if you listen to contemporary Christian radio, I'm positive you've heard it. But, even if you have... take a moment to soak in these lyrics...


Wake up, 7:32 AM
Can’t believe it’s time to do it over again
Yesterday, it took all that you had
And you’re wondering if you’ll ever get it back
But the whole wide world is waiting for
Waiting for you to step out that door
Come on, and let your life be heard today

You’ve got something to say
If you’re living, if you’re breathing
You’ve got something to say
You know if you’re heart is beating
You’ve got something to say
And no one can say it like you do
God is love and love speaks through You
got it, you got it
You’ve got something to say

Listen up, I got a question here
Would anybody miss you if you disappeared
Well your life is the song that you sing
And the whole wide world is listening
Well the answer to the question is
You were created, your life is a gift
And the lights are shining on you today

I love the imagery here & it has me thinking about how my lifesong is sounding. If each day is like a note of music in 'my song'... am I using each one wisely, contributing to the overall harmony? Or, have I let it get a little off-key ("pitchy" as Randy would say on American Idol)?

I'm a little concerned that it's the latter. But, I'm not talking about being the super-saint who has her 'to-do list' for God that's a mile long.... 'cause I'm pretty convinced that's not what He wants from me.

Actually... I think it's very simple: the days that are off-key are the ones where I drop my gaze from following after His Son. Those are the days that I look instead to myself... my plans, my wants, my self-indulgences, my rights... me, me, me! (((OUCH!!))) Hear those sour notes?

But... when my eyes are on Him...
- in His Word
- in prayer
- allowing Him to direct my choices...
then... the song is beautiful! Not of my creation at all.... His!

Mr. West said it well... "God is love & love speaks through you!"



"The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him... " (Exodus 15:2)

2 comments:

Kimberly Hurd Horst said...

Nice. Thank you, from someone who always has a song in her heart, it is a great reminder of the high call to worship!

Debbie Giese said...

Thanks for the lyrics. Sometimes it's nice to be able to read a song, to let the words sink in. When we all sing our own songs, that is what makes the harmony.