Friday, January 28, 2011

...choosing the gift

I came here not really sure what to report about 'my one word' progress... at first glance, I wanted to say that it's not really coming along very well. I certainly don't spend as much time thinking about the word 'choose' as I thought I would. But, on closer inspection, it might be going better than I think.

A couple of weeks ago, by seemingly random occurrence, I came across a book entitled 100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart by Robert Morgan and it has become an instant favorite for me. What really makes the impact, I think, is the first 1/4 of the book. He doesn't just jump immediately into the verses, but instead steadily builds a case for the practice of scripture memorization. I was totally sold by the first few pages!

It doesn't take much reflection for me to recognize that "hitting home" feeling as God's work within my heart. I love it when God places a feeling of excitement & joy within my heart... 'cause it's just a flat-out amazing feeling! Way better than anything I conjure up about the insignificant things of the world I am often drawn to. I'm not sure I can really put it into words adequately, but there is a huge difference between my joy and His Joy. They're not even in the same ballpark, friend!

Anyway... I absolutely believe He led me to this book, this idea... in His timing. Everyone, of course, is familiar with the idea of memorizing scripture. It certainly doesn't require any further explanation - but what was different was the connection that I felt inside my spirit to CHOOSE that particular discipline right now. I almost hate to use the word 'choose', because it's really more of a "want to" than a "choose to". I was drawn to it like... well, like me to a piece of chocolate cake! (sorry, give me a sec... I totally cracked myself up by typing that!! *LOL*)

But perhaps, in the daily walk... it does require me to choose. I have to choose to keep the idea in front of me on an ongoing basis. I have to choose to practice & recite... even when my day is busy. I have to choose to be proactive & find the techniques that work best for me. I have to choose daily to pace myself, not give way to the urge to race through the book. (I prefer to devour books, so that's a toughie for me.)

And, as I consider it more closely... perhaps the biggest challenge I will have is to choose to keep this effort before Him at all times - to keep it part of my relationship with Him. I can't be tempted to run off & try to accomplish "for" Him. I don't think that is His intent.

Because, as I continue to think here through my keystrokes... I am seeing that He is clearly the one doing the work within me: He has given me the desire - I didn't create it myself. Plus, He is giving me the ability to recall more scripture already than I first thought possible - I'm positive that's not my own doing. (Seriously - I've hit a stage in life where my memory is noticeably weaker than a few years ago... so, I know He is providing in this area!) And, He is showing me different areas of my life in which I could incorporate His Word that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

That's an incredible gift, really.... and, not so hard at all to choose!







If this has in any way whet your appetite to investigate the book I am referring to... you can get a decent peek into the book at this link:



2 comments:

Tami Spearman said...

Danyel, I always enjoy your blog. Memorizing scripture is something that has been on my heart alot lately, yet I am never very successful at it. So, you're inspired me! I just bought this book for my nook, so I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for sharing your words and your walk with us!

~d. said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Tami!

I love that you may be taking this little journey with me... perhaps we can be of mutual encouragement. I really see this as a long-term project - no rushing! I want these verses planted deep inside my memory :)