Sunday, January 9, 2011

My One Word

I guess I should, at least, acknowledge how long it's been since I was last here... but let's not waste good time & words on that. Is everyone ok with that? (crickets chirping) Ok, then... good! Moving on.

For several years now, I've been moving away from the standard 'new year's resolution' idea little by little. I mean, really... what's the point? Do you ever hear people talking about their resolutions in, say... April? September? I don't!

But, there is still a part of me that enjoys the newness of January. Remember new school supplies every September? They were just exciting in a way. Crisp, clean & inviting. How about a brand new car? Pristine & flawless. It all represents a new beginning, a fresh start. Who doesn't like that?

So, not wanting to totally give up that perspective, I have decided to give this a try for 2011: My One Word.

“My One Word” is an experiment designed to move you beyond the past and look ahead. The challenge is simple: lose the long list of changes you want to make this year and instead pick ONE WORD. This process provides clarity by taking all of your big plans for life change and narrowing them down into a single thing. One word focuses on your character and creates a vision for your future.


This idea/movement is led by a church in North Carolina. If you want to check out loads of info/resources/encouragement at their website, you will find them at myoneword.org.


I know it's not for everyone, but this idea appeals to me on a couple of levels. One is simplicity... and I really like simplicity! My memory's not exactly what it used to be, but I think I can still manage to keep one word in my mind. With a small amount of effort, I could probably hang on to one word for a whole year. (...plus, there are always sticky notes - and how many words do you have to actually write down?? Just one! See the beauty of this thing??)

It also appeals to my "it's just the way God made me" side... because I am really fond of words. I try to keep a dictionary handy when I'm reading or writing... because I actually *enjoy* using it. And, not many things thrill me more than the chance to learn deeper meanings in God's Word based on word studies. ...So, go ahead - call me a word nerd... I choose to embrace it.

For me... it's just a good fit! I clearly see the opportunity for this to grow & branch out during the year. I may start out seeing my word in one light right now, but end up seeing it in a completely different way in December. Different definitions, different connotations, different applications... they could all come into play with this exercise.

I also see potential for growth & (shudder) change in this process... and, is that always nice & comfy? Uhhh.... decidedly, no! Think "exercise" here - is that easy & without struggle? The answer is absolutely no... so don't even try to lie to me or yourself. (And, for the record, NO - 'exercise' is definitely NOT my word!)

But, if God is in charge of the change, though... is it always for the better? Yes. Without a doubt!

OK, yeah... let's actually talk about that for a minute. I can't help thinking this will be completely useless if I am not praying & inviting God to lead the work. Actually, that is the whole point of this! If not, I'm just back to my old ways - listing out things & trying to accomplish them in my own power. And, besides - inviting God to lead this makes it infinitely more interesting & exciting! Seriously, do you know my God?? He is AMAZING! He can take the smallest, most seemingly obscure point & manifest it into total & complete life change - if you just allow Him to. If you don't yet know Him, I highly encourage you to make your one word "Jesus" this year. Pray & ask Him to open up your heart & mind to all that He has for you within that one Name. Simple enough, yes? Oh - and, don't forget to keep me posted - I can't WAIT to hear about that adventure!

So, as for me... I've spent a few days thinking about my word. Then, I prayed about it - and got a different one! :-)

I'll check back soon to tell you a little more about it. But, for now... why not think about your own word and pray about it? I would love to hear your thoughts... you can leave a note here, or catch me on facebook. I would love some company along for the journey!

Anyone else in?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy, I like happy for many different reasons. Happy could possibly be my one word! I'll have to think some more on this. Now, I'm really curious what your one word is...

~d. said...

my word isn't exciting or anything.... I was just trying to leave the slate blank for anyone who was thinking about joining me. On the official website, you'll see lots of examples of words people chose, but I purposely didn't read them because I didn't want to be swayed by their really "good" words *lol*

Anonymous said...

didn't know you were blogging! i love it! i've often wanted to, but don't think anybody would want to read my thoughts...
enjoyed! my word is def going to be "Beneficial".
if it's not beneficial, i shouldn't be doing it or eating it or saying it or thinking it!~
kim butler 1/10/11

~d. said...

@Kim... LOVE your word! And, you even have a great verse to carry it along, too! Can't wait to hear different ways God uses it for you this year!